What is privilege? What is it not? How does privilege cause harm? In this bonus episode, Amy Julia describes her working definition of privilege, the ways that privilege leads to unjust social divisions and disparities, and how we can participate in healing from the harm of privilege.
“Privilege is a set of unearned social advantages that lead to unjust social divisions and disparities.”
“Privilege is not a guarantee of an easy life and it’s not an accusation of an easy life.”
“As unearned social advantages lead to unjust social divisions, we find ourselves participating in injustice.”
“Privilege harms everyone. The way we are cut off from one another and from the full expression of human diversity is not only unjust but it is also harmful, and I, for one, want to be a part of healing.”
“Healing comes from the overflow of the love of God at work in and through God’s people—not just the love of God, but the love of God that is expressed in acts of mercy, of kindness, and of justice.”
ON THE PODCAST:
- Penny’s diagnosis
- Podcast guests to date: David Bailey, Micha Boyett, Patricia Raybon, Natasha Sistrunk Robinson, Jemar Tisby, Cara Meredith, Subira Gordon, Marlena Graves, Niro Feliciano, Esau McCaulley, Dominique Gilliard, Paul Miller
- Studies: names on job applications; wage gaps; bias in sports
- College admissions scandal
- Blog Post: The Spiritual Problem of Racism Calls for a Spiritual Solution
- Audiobook: “Head, Heart, Hands”
Thank you to Breaking Ground, the co-host for this podcast.
White Picket Fences, Season 3 of Love is Stronger Than Fear, is based on my book White Picket Fences, and today we are taking a break from our typical podcast episodes and guests to talk about the topic of privilege. Check out free RESOURCES—action guide, discussion guides—that are designed to help you respond. Learn more about my writing and speaking at amyjuliabecker.com.
To go further with Amy Julia:
- Love is Stronger Than Fear | Season 3—White Picket Fences
- S3 E4 | Challenging Comfort, Acknowledging Power, and Using Privilege with Natasha Robinson
- AJB on Privilege
If you haven’t already, please subscribe to receive regular updates and news. You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, and you can subscribe to my Love is Stronger Than Fear podcast on your favorite podcast platforms.